JOBS IN GIS
Geographic Information Systems (or GIS) is a healthy occupational field in today's conservation occupations. GIS is a strong tool for many areas of forestry, from identifying harvesting locations to urban forestry. Wildlife mapping, forest and regional planning, all need this type of geographic data assembled.
Today's conservation professional uses digital mapping technology that links a computerized map with a computer database. Often the popular GPS systems are used in the field to locate specific points such as property lines, stream beds, and protected archeological locations. Since the use of GIS is now so widespread, it can be tricky to find a job in an environmental occupation that doesn't use this tool.
GIS work generally takes a person who is 'linear' in their thinking process and who pays deep attention to details. It often requires dogged determination to get to the exact GIS points in the outdoors and to make sure the data is correctly identified once you've collected it. Anyone who has had to rely of GIS data and found it lacking in certainty can appreciate the attention to detail that is needed in GIS work. Someone's life may depend on the accuracy of your GIS work. Remember that!
SOURCES FOR JOBS IN GIS
- GEO JOBS
- Geojobs.org contains GIS Jobs and GIS Resumes. It also contains Remote Sensing (RS), Cartography and other Geography related job advertisements and resumes.
- GIS Careers
- Their database contains GIS jobs and resumés covering fields such as remote sensing, mapping, forestry, geographic analysis and more.
- GIS Jobs Clearinghouse
- GJC has hundreds of positions posted for GIS professionals and is one of the most popular GIS sites on the web.
- GIS Jobs
- Good site for a variety of GIS jobs.
- WESTERN U.S. GIS JOB SEARCH
- Comprehensive listing of career sites and links for people seeking GIS jobs. It's more of a personal-type web site, so some of the links may be completely new to you.
- GIS Connection
- Modest list of vacancy announcements.
- Geocommunity Career Center
- A leading provider of GIS, Geo-Spatial and Location-Based Industry Job announcements and career development resources.
- Texas A & M University maintains an extensive jobs board for their Wildlife and Fisheries program, of which GIS is one.
- Jobs in Remote Sensing and GIS from around the world.
- Geo Sci-Jobs
- A Yahoo discussion group for announcing postdocs, assistantships, scholarships and employment opportunities in the earth sciences, including geology, oceanography, physical geography, engineering geology, mineralogy, petroleum geology, reservoir engineering, etc.
- GISL Job News - International
- GISL International Consultants: Geographic Information Systems, Remote Sensing and Informatics. According to their web site information, GISL is one of the leading companies in the UK to provide application specialists to multi-disciplinary projects worldwide. So...if you are looking for some adventure and travel, this might it.
- A comprehensive site of GIS news plus job postings.
- Geo Search
- A professional recruiting firm for GIS professionals and entry level, too. They state, 'Never a fee for candidates seeking new opportunities' but be sure to check.
* Check for NEWEST JOBS
Thousands of job seekers visit visit Cyber-Sierra's Natural Resources Job Search every week looking for work specifically in natural resource and environmental occupations. Shouldn't they see your
JOB ANNOUNCEMENTS listed too?
ADVERTISE your conservation jobs today!
Check out our low fees and special employer benefits!
Add a link or missing Links? E-mail by typing:
mtnplanner followed by an @ (at sign) and then cyber-sierra.com
(Sorry for the bother, but I am swamped with spam and am using these tactics to block spam robots & spam spiders!)
Page location: http://www.cyber-sierra.com/nrjobs/
copyright © Cyber-Sierra.Com
Seek Grants At