JOB SEARCH REFERENCE LIBRARY
Finding employment may take a trip to a virtual reference library to get background information on an employer's hot button. Keywords in job descriptions may lead you to search the web for more information. Pay attention to details in completing job applications. Find out how your prospective employer sees the natural world, and make use of the appropriate vocabulary.
Once you have gained employment you may need to do research for various projects like watershed and stream restoration, land stewardship and best agricultural management practices programs. Familiarize yourself with the abundant online resources for conservation work. Online libraries are extensive and they are extremely useful for gathering data and details for grants, and field projects.
* Are you a Jobseeker with a disability? Check out our new section for Equal Opportunity Employment!
ONLINE NATURAL RESOURCE LIBRARIES
- Natural Resources Library Databases
- This database indexes publications in 41 subject areas relating the social sciences to forestry.
- Agricultural Network Information Center
- Through AgNIC you can search the world of agriculture or stay up-to-date with the latest agricultural news and events taking place around the world.
- National Sea Grant Library
- The National Sea Grant Library (NSGL) is the digital library and official archive for NOAA Sea Grant documents. The NSGL provides global access to over 15,000 full-text digital documents through the 40,000 records, searchable publications database.
- National Agricultural Library
- National Agriculture Library (NAL)is part of the Agricultural Research Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is one of four National Libraries in the United States.
- Ag Census Archive
- The Census of Agriculture, taken every five years, is a complete count of U.S. farms and ranches and the people who operate them. The Census looks at land use and ownership, operator characteristics, production practices, income and expenditures, and many other areas.
- Farmland Information Library
- The FIC is a clearinghouse for information about farmland protection and stewardship.
- Forest Inventory and Analysis National Program
- USA Forest Inventory and Analysis National Program reports on status and trends in forest area and location.
- Water Librarian
- Serving water scientists, engineers, and librarians since 1996, this is a great collection of links from a California Water Librarian's home page.
Plant and Critter Identification
Looking to identify a particular plant?
- Plants National Database
- The PLANTS Database provides standardized information about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories.
- British Society for Plant Pathology
- Plant Pathology is is an international journal owned and edited by the BSPP which covers all aspects of plant pathology and reaches subscribers in 80 countries.
- NAL Special Collections
- Rare books, manuscript collections, nursery and seed trade catalogs, photographs, and posters relating to a wide range of agricultural subjects. The time span of the historical materials ranges from the 1500's to the present.
- Trees of Pacific Northwest
- The purpose of this site is to help you identify common conifers and broadleaves in the Pacific Northwest.
- Plant Teaching Collection
- Botony department of the University of Wisconsin-Madison has made these photos available. Over 5000 images are available online including trees, fungi, and more.
- Garden Insects
- Botony department of the University of Wisconsin-Madison has made these photos available.
- iMap Invasive
- An on-line, GIS-based data management system used to assist citizen scientists and natural resource professionals working to protect our natural resources from the threat of invasive species.
- Information on invasive plants, animals, and pathogens, and especially how to best manage them.
- Manual of California Vegetation
- Keys, indices, and more. The site has not been updated as of 2000, but the information is still there.
- Plants Poisonous to Livestock
- This is a growing reference that includes plant images, pictures of affected animals and presentations concerning the botany, chemistry, toxicology, diagnosis and prevention of poisoning of animals by plants and other natural flora (fungi, etc.).
- Veterinary Medicine Library
- Includes 'Plants toxic to Animals' information.
- Plants Toxic To Animals - Pennsylvania
- Help in identifying common plants that are toxic in the eastern US.
- Plants Toxic To Cats
- A list of common plants that are toxic to cats.
- Plants Toxic To Dogs
- A list of common plants that are toxic to dogs.
- Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System
- The CANADIAN POISONOUS PLANTS INFORMATION SYSTEM presents data on plants that cause poisoning in livestock, pets, and humans. Its interactive search engine provides information on plant names, distribution, toxic plant parts, toxic chemicals, and symptoms of poisoning.
* Volunteer for HELPING HANDS
...Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things..." (Philippians 4:8)
Page location: http://www.cyber-sierra.com/ copyright © Cyber-Sierra.Com