JOBS IN NATURAL RESOURCES
The 'Jobs in Natural Resources' page tends to focus on employment opportunities leaning towards outdoor field work and the resources professions while the 'Jobs in Environment' tends towards advocacy and activism - but check both link lists.
Just because a job may involve outdoor work doesn't mean you don't need specialized training. Yes, you can get paid to hike through the woods doing such work as utility line clearance, but the pay is low and turnover is very high. The biggest employer for natural resource occupations is the government and those private companies that contract with various government agencies.
Natural resources professionals often have 4 year science degrees with many persons having higher degrees. Even with a masters degree, entry level professional positions are modest in payscale. Make sure you understand the financial nature of a career in conservation. Many people enjoy a long and happy life working in natural resource and conservation professions, but they generally don't make 6 figure incomes as a result. Plan accordingly.
I look at each web site when updating links but a web's policies for accessing job information can change with no notice, so check for possible fees. Don't forget that New announcements are frequently added.
MORE SOURCES FOR JOBS IN NATURAL RESOURCES
- Find the latest jobs in oil, mining, geoscience, environmental, agriculture, forestry, ecology, meteorology, oceanography, hydrology, soil, GIS and related subjects. Worldwide in scope.
- Texas A&M: Wildife and Fisheries
- Wildlife, fisheries and an abundance of other natural resources employment announcements are posted here. Really excellent site!
- Society for Conservation Biology
- Great jobs list for Ecologists, biologists, and more. The Conservation Jobs is an online database of jobs that are posted by whomever has a position available.
- This newer job search engine does a pretty good job of targeting desirable jobs using search terms like 'conservation' but you may want to use additional keywords to narrow the search. Very good!
- Women in Natural Resources
- This site shows an abbreviated list of jobs from the current WINR newsletter. Of course the jobs aren't limited to females, but it's nice to know there is a great site designed and written by women at all levels in forestry, fisheries, wildlife, range, recreation, soils, and the environmental and social sciences as they relate to natural resources.
- Nature Conservancy
- With projects in all 50 states and more than 30 countries, they need a lot of staff.
- Weed Society of America
- Great jobs list for weed scientists for both the USA and Canada.
- Biology Jobs
- A targeted resource for job seekers and employers who are specifically interested in the Life Sciences. Biology job categories in our database include Agriculture, Anatomy / Physiology, Bioinformatics / Biotechnology, Botany, Cell Biology, Conservation, Ecology, Environmental Science, Genetics, Marine Science, Medicine, Natural Resources, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Veterinary Medicine, and Zoology.
- National Association of Environmental Professionals
- National Association of Environmental Professionals posts current vacancies and student internship opportunities.
- Nature Jobs
- International Science jobs. A variety of postings in a searchable index. This site is described as a targeted service for scientific professionals and recruiters. Plus the 'Nature Review' magazine is worth checking out. For best results simply search by category.
- CO Natural Resources Career Center
- While the College of Natural Resources (CO) jobs board is limited to students, the site does have quite a few links to posting locations organized by topic and a lot of great job hunting advice.
- CEMML Job Announcements
- The Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML) is a leading global provider of research and sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on federal lands.
- Worldwide Worker
- Not your usual view of natural resource professions, WorldWideWorker.com is one of the leading jobsites for the oil and gas industry featuring jobs in geology, engineering, and underseas construction. Site is International in scope.
- Environmental Toxicology Vacancies
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry shows vacancies for Environmental scientists, wildlife biologists, study directors, in both the public and private employment sectors under 'What We Do' in the 'Career Center'.
- Jobs at Land Trusts
- Working with land trusts is a natural for someone with NR experience, forestry, land use, conservation easements, real estate skills, etc. There are various opportunities, nation-wide.
- SNRE CAREER RESOURCES
- Michigan School of Natural Resources lists a number of excellent career resources.
- The Ecological Society of America
- The Ecological Society of America posts job announcements that are submitted for advertisement on-line, as well as funding opportunities. These pages provide specific listings for individuals looking for internships, employment or additional funding to further their careers and research in ecology. Find jobs opportunities from a variety of fields including: Agronomy, Aquatic Ecology, Biology, Botany, Climatology, Ecosystem Studies, Entomology, Environmental Resource Management, Fisheries Biology, Forest Ecology, Geography, Geology, Oceanography, Population Biology, Soil Science, Wildlife Biology, Zoology, and more.
- Environmental Career Opportunities
- About 100 current job vacancies in the environmental field can be found and used for your job hunt on this excellent job site, but you can receive 500 vacancies through a paid subscription, which you can receive at a password protected website for a modest fee.
- Work Tree
- WorkTree.com is a job search engine that searches all major USA and UK job sites and sorts the results by relevance in just a few seconds. Use good keywords like 'wildlife' to find reasonably appropriate listings.
- USA Jobs, Inc
- USAjobs is a non-profit organization that matches qualified candidates with employers. Some listings for various environmental professions. Locate by keyword. The web site isn't pretty, but it delivers the goods.